Developing A Plan For
School Emergency Safety & Security Management Plan
Emergency preparedness is mandated for the public school systems, requiring not only annual update, but update every time federal requirements change. To keep the plan reflective of all current mitigating circumstances that may limit the effectiveness of emergency responders could be a full-time job. Those typically assigned to emergency planning and response are often dealing with issues far outside their area of expertise.
Nesbitt & Associates customizes strategic plans for educational institutions that allows schools to develop better emergency preparedness and response plans that address a myriad of threatening situations in less time; train staff on that plan; and provide critical information within your institution and to “first responding” public safety groups like the police, fire department, health agencies and more — ensuring the best and quickest response to your school’s emergency.
Nesbitt critical incident strategies can help your school to build an integrated, comprehensive plan compliant with National Incident Management System methodology that can include:
- An Integrated Security Assessment, a comprehensive evaluation to assess site, facility, human resources, and existing security measures status and effectiveness, resulting in a step by step security measures implementation plan and security technology recommendations.
- Phased implementation, consistent with school budget planning
- Crisis management response and procedures for all types of critical incidents like intruder, terror, weapons, and violent behavior threat as well pandemic, natural, and accidental disasters, and more
- Preventive programs, procedures, and training for student, staff, and visitor protection
- Plan development and training by credentialed law enforcement, emergency/crisis management, and safety/danger subject matter experts
- Emergency chain of command, command center checklist, and communications guidelines
- Customizable planning to account for local hazards and resources
- Mapping information and photos, including floor plans, utility shut-offs, access and evacuation routes, emergency staging areas and more
- Electronic and hard copy plan documentation, including annual reviews and updates
- A read-only electronic copy of your plan’s critical data for public safety agencies
No Loose Ends
School Integrated Security Assessment
Safety and Security Review and Analysis
Did you know:
- In 2008, Dr. Hope Tiesman, of the CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety said “…available research demonstrates that teachers and other school employees may be at an increased risk for theft of personal property, verbal threats of physical harm, bullying, abuse, physical assault, and injury from students.”
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, slips and falls are the third largest cause of workplace injuries, costing roughly $34,000 per incident, and accounting for over one million lost workdays every year.
- According to law enforcement professionals, opportunistic assaults and illegal activities are more likely to happen in obscure and poorly seen areas.
- Lack of effective security measures (technology, policies and procedures, etc.) accommodates fraud and theft by those inside and outside your organization?
Emergency preparedness starts with a comprehensive examination of your current situation. Nesbitt & Associates can conduct a fully integrated security assessment that includes:
- a physical assessment, including pictorial documentation of your facility and grounds, as well as area crime and natural hazards statistics and analysis
- an examination of your current safety and security policies and procedures, including employee manuals
- testing and evaluation of your current security measures and technology systems, including alarm and access systems, surveillance and emergency communication systems
- survey of school administration and staff perceptions of the safety of their environment
When completed, our assessment will identify weaknesses and vulnerabilities and make recommendations that will help you to save lives, protect your school’s assets, guard against liability, and improve the morale and performance of your people.
Deter, Protect, and
Video Surveillance Solutions for Schools
High quality, properly placed and utilized video surveillance can yield a tangible return on investment.
According to the US Department of Justice, in their report The Appropriate and Effective Use of Security Technologies in the Schools, describes the advantages of video cameras as part of a close circuit television system as:
- enhancing peace of mind
- contributing to the overall order and maintenance of a facility
- influencing how the facility is treated by occupants and outsiders
- deterring crime and unwanted behaviors
- identifying perpetrators
- enabling dispatch of assistance at the first sign of distress
- protection from fraudulent liability claims
- freeing up manpower for redeployment to other tasks
With our strategic video technology partners, Nesbitt & Associates provides a resource for high definition, networkable video surveillance hardware and software engineering that is customized for the specific needs of the education environment and combines it with reliability, service, and training.